Sports books are always on the hunt for new betting opportunities to offer their customers and fill gaps in the sporting schedule. A new sporting league that hosts its first round in late February 2016 could offer a glimpse of a new betting medium of the future – the Drone Racing League.
The Drone Racing League announced its inaugural season in January 2016 and the first event will be held at Sun Life Stadium in Miami.
As a potential betting medium it seems to have a lot in its favour:
• Fast-paced live or pre-recorded sports action – 70mph drones
• Thrills and spills without concerns for human or animal welfare
• First person viewing makes viewers feel part of the action
• Regular and frequent events – the drones don’t get tired
• An element of form, skill and personalities in the pilots flying the drones
• An appeal to younger, non-traditional sports fans