The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has used a speech at the Gambling Commission conference (21 November 2017) to give an update on its investigation into UK gambling. The CMA outlined six key areas of concern, mainly in relation to promotions and their terms and conditions.
1. Lack of transparency of significant promotion restrictions
2. Restriction on withdrawing deposit winnings
3. Restriction on withdrawing unspent deposit funds
4. Fairness and transparency of play restrictions
5. Withdrawing free bets or reducing their value
6. Compulsory publicity
The full transcript can be found here:
The measures outlined by the CMA chime with the aims of the Gambling Commission’s new strategy, which has the overall theme of making gambling “fairer and safer”.